Wednesday, January 26, 2011

mlb.com's top 50 Prospect Countdown Show

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, mlb.com and MLB network unveiled their top 50 prospect countdown for the 2011 season. If you missed it, you can view it here. From a fantasy perspective the biggest thing that I got out of the countdown is just how special last year's rookie class was. While some guys do come with a good deal of hype for this season (Hellickson, Moustakis, Brown, Ackley, Freeman and Belt), I just don't see anybody having the major impact that many rookies did last year. The 2010 rookie class was the best I have seen in 20 years of following baseball.
The 2011 class is more in line with what we are used to seeing. There are some very exciting players, from a fantasy stand point, but they all come with some major questions. While I am not ready to go over my rookie rankings yet, I think I have settled on the top of my class. In no particular order, guys that I see topping my rankings will be Hellickson, Brown and Freeman. Dustin Ackley and Kyle Drabek are two that I am starting to like less than many fantasy owners. Both Ackley and Drabek should have long successful careers but I don't see either ever having a significant fantasy impact. Ackley seems to profile as a 15 hr (or less in Seattle) 280 average major league hitter. Drabek looks like a 3rd starter in a good major league rotation, at best.
Well, that was my immediate reaction. What is your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment